Sunday, January 18, 2009

Great Message

Our bulletin announcement had a great message in it today at church and I thought I'd share it since it's been something that's been on my mind a lot lately as I contemplate what my purpose here on earth is and what I really hope to accomplish.

It centered on President Gordon B Hinckley's counsel to teach our children. He named seven things specifically that we need to be teaching them and I was glad to have a short list of things that I can focus on since the list of things that are available to teach is never-ending.

Anyway it said that once you are old and graying and begin reflecting back upon your life, likely your primary thoughts will be, "How have my children turned out?" And, if you have done your best to teach them these seven principles, then likely the answer will be, "very well".

1. teach them to seek for good friends
2. teach them to value education
3. teach them to respect their bodies
4. teach them to avoid illegal drugs as they would the plague
5. teach them to be honest
6. teach them to be virtuous
7. teach them to pray

In summary, teach them the gospel. If only the world as a whole would teach their children these things - I wonder what kind of a world we would live in.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Hi, I am also recently active in the church. My husband has also been very antagonistic towards me and the church. It's been very hard at times. I'll be following your blog. You can email me if you'd like at katmadsen@gmail.com