Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tithing Settlement & Callings

...a relatively new concept for me. That I'm even paying tithing is highly sensitive information. I shred all receipts and even tear out the carbon from my checkbook 'lest my hubby finds it.

I didn't sign up for my tithing settlement mainly because I had no idea what it was. Honestly, I was worried about what I'd say. Here I am with a temple recommend, wearing my garments proudly and trying to be a "good mormon" but I have to say truthfully that there was about 3 times that I did not pay this year. I had every intention of doing so but then just didn't. And I didn't want to have to confess it. And, I've never been to a tithing settlement so I didn't know what went on in there and I was nervous. Hmm, sounds like Satan's hand here on retrospect.

So, embarrassingly enough, I got pulled out of Sunday School by the Bishop this past Sunday because he was worried that I didn't sign up because I didn't want to come at a time that would disrupt things at home. What a nice guy. He'd even instructed his...I dont' know what to call them...guys not to call me and leave me a message at my house about it - now that's sensitive!

I told him I wasn't a full tithe payer because there were a few times I didn't pay. I told him I'd had a rough year trying to be faithful on my own and that things at home were still pretty rotten, all truths. I also told him I had no way of accounting for the tithing I'd paid because I got rid of all of the "evidence". I felt bad when he appeared to feel sorry for me and told me he was going to report me a full tithe payer. Now if that won't get me to pay a full tithing this year, then I don't know what will.

During that meeting, he also told me he was very close to calling me as the Activities Committee Head. I'm already on that committee and I was surpised to hear that I was considered. Turns out, they ended up calling another lady and I can only hope it was because they had prayed and knew it wouldn't have been a good match. I think I would have turned it down. I've been on the committee for about 1 1/2 years and so far, although I've helped organize and set-up nearly all of the activities, I've only actually attended about 1/2 of them due to home stuff or other obligations. That just wouldn't cut it as the Head.

He asked if I would consider another calling - something that wasn't just a Sunday calling. I told him it would depend, so he said he'd think about it. As part of the Activities Committee, I'm also the building scheduler. Last year, I was the scheduler for all 3 of the wards that meet in our building. This year I am just the go-to girl for our ward and the main scheduler has rotated to another ward, thank goodness. I've not even been called as a Visiting Teacher yet which probably has its pros & cons.

I think I could teach Relief Society - that would be fun. It's not like I have to have a lot of knowledge for that since you mainly teach from the manual. I've heard that if you teach, you learn a lot more than if you're just sitting in the crowd. I could benefit from that! But, there's probably not an opening and they likely have something more suitable for me in mind. Considering a teaching position in the Relief Society is pretty presumptious, I think. I've only been active for not quite 2 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I've not even been called as a Visiting Teacher yet which probably has its pros & cons"
(imagine me putting a finger on my lips while whispering this)
Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't say it too loud. They might hear you.

No seriously????You really want to be a visiting teacher? Gosh, this is one thing I still have a hard time with. Frankly I am impressed by your desire to serve. I guess I still have to work on this :o)