Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Can't Believe It

It's been nearly a month since I posted here. Sorry about that!

This weekend, I went to a Family History Fair they had here in Bountiful at the High School. It was so fantastic. I had a terrific time! I know, you're thinking...how boring! Well, it might be if you haven't yet been bitten by the bug. Honestly, I've been bitten a lot earlier than most people (like by about 30 years! lol) but it's alright. I was okay with being the youngest person (by a long shot) there!

If you've ever been to Women's Conference at BYU, it was a lot like that, just on a much smaller scale. For a beginner, it might have all been pretty overwhelming but I've been pretty involved in Family History now for a couple of years and feel like I've advanced beyond the newbie status.

A few things I thought I'd pass along:

The church has slowly been rolling out New Family Search. If you don't live in Utah, chances are, you might already have access to it at your Family History centers. Here in Utah, since we have access to so many temples, they're rolling us out last. It will soon be available just by logging on to www.familysearch.org

New Family Search will enable us to be virtually "on-line" with the church's system. TempleReady will be discontinued and we can check in real-time whether a person has received various ordinances. The middle man is gone!

Additionally, if you purchase RootsMagic (about $20) you can upload your "gedcom" or "paf" file and it will automatically search through the church's system to match up people (all with your authorization) and check for ordinances too. I bought this software yesterday and am glad I did!

I learned so much at this conference! If you think you might someday be interested in doing genealogy, I recommend you attend one of these if at all possible. Sign up for beginner courses and a few relative to your ancestry for further information (haha, little play with words).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy ... Our stories are very similar. Thank you for creating this blog. I related so much to your testimony and your reconversion story. I was raised in the church, served a mission, married in the temple to a recent convert, then fell away for 4 years after my husband decided to leave the LDS Church to become Catholic.

I understand how hard it is to be alone in having high standards. I related to your difficulties with the Word of Wisdom. My husband and I are going through a difficult time because I'm no longer his drinking buddy, and there seems to be this wedge between us.

I keep reminding him. "You married a Mormon, not a Catholic." So what you saw when you met me is what you get. In that, he has the advantage on me. I thought I was marrying a Mormon.

Anyway, it's hard to remain faithful and not get bitter. I started coming back to church in January because a friend of mine invited me.

I can relate to your story about your sister's faithfulness. In my case, it's my parents. They never waivered in their support for me, even though I left the church, and for all they knew, would never return. They didn't freak out when I became Catholic, and had our children baptized. They even attended the baptism! That's love for you.

Meanwhile, I just have to be patient with my husband.

Take care and hope we can keep in touch. Nicole

Anonymous said...

I know doing genealogy is important to give our ancestors a chance to accept the gospel. I don't mean that this is not important but I must say that FOR ME it is not as important as what I got out of my mother's research. My mother was very into it when I was younger and thus made possible for me to know where I come from. This is such a wonderful thing to know when you're a teenager and feel a little lost that you maybe yourself, and you may not really know who you are yet but you know you are parts of people who lived before you did.
One thing that I like about this knowledge is linked...to my nose!
Yes...you read it right. I said: my nose.
When I was a child one of my mother's best friend juts loved my nose and I must say it is the best part of my face (good thing since it is right in the middle of it!). BUUUUUT nobody in my family has this nose. Doing family research my mother found pics of her great-grand-mother (my great-great-grand-mother) and she found out that I got her nose. But the thing is that I did not just get a fine thing from her. She found out that she was also a great woman. There is no way I could have ever meet her in this life so I am really hoping she will be the first one I meet when I go back to Heaven.
I pretty much set an appointment with her...I hope that has scheduled me because there is no way for me to check it out whether she has or not.
LOL
LOL
LOL