Sunday, October 14, 2007

Books and Music

On one end of the spectrum, they can be evil & filthy. On the other side, they can be beautiful and uplifting. What are we experiencing?

I bring this up today because of a terrific talk I experienced today in Sacrament. I know, I'm always going off about fantastic speakers; that's just because I'm fortunate enough to live in a ward with highly intelligent & spiritual people who are willing to share their beautiful thoughts.

A new member (again) spoke today and he was so riveting I found myself completing ignoring my daughter as she proceeded to create a small tornado in the bench beside me. He talked about the value of learning. His beginning line of thinking discussed how many actual hours we spend in the actual classroom as we go throughout our education. He said by the time we get out of high school, we've spent approximately 18,000 hours of our time in a learning situation. He continued along this vein including a bachelor's degree, plus homework time to a whopping 28,000 hours of instruction. But then he compared it to the amount of time each of us puts forth in learning about our own faith, the gospel and the plan of salvation. These things are far more mysterious than chemical bonding or the works of Shakespeare. But most of us are not willing to give even a fraction of that time to earnest learning, self-instruction etc.

He gave many scriptural references to this affect as if to say, "see, if you'd bother to search the scriptures from time to time, you'd see it's all in here!" I personally don't give myself too hard a time about scripture study because I think that term is loose and is more directed at members who have actually read all of the scriptures from cover-to-cover first. How can you search the scriptures if you've never even read them? That's why I'm on a quest to finish them first. I've got the Book of Mormon accomplished, and am now nearly complete with the New Testament. Two down, three to go!

I was just inspired by his talk and the work I should be doing to increase my faith. That was his premise, after all. Faith, followed by works increases faith which encourages more works... Faith without works is dead. I loved it. It was so simple. That's what this whole Plan of Salvation is...so simple. It really is. We, as humankind, make it so difficult though! How hard is it to get up in the morning and do a little download to the Lord, read the scriptures...help a friend or not-friend, love our families, do a second download to the Lord again before you climb in bed. Don't steal, don't murder, don't lie...don't cheat on your wife, listen to him. Do what he asks. Be happy.

Our Relief Society lesson was also really good. It was on marriage and as it opened, I saw that the teacher had a bunch of pictures of couples doing photos outside of the temples (those wedding day pictures mormons are so familiar with). There was like 6 pictures on the table and I almost got up and walked out right then. My sister-in-law and her husband were just sealed in the temple yesterday and I'm still smarting from the injustice of it all. I just think I've made more mistakes and have a bigger bill to pay. Anyway, so I almost walked out but something told me to stay.

I stayed, and the longer I stayed, the more I felt I needed to stay so I knew what I should be teaching my daughter about eternal marriage. That felt like a good reason so I got comfortable. The lesson was mainly on how to make a marriage work. Again, it was like a simple little recipe. One of the most important points given was to be unselfish. She (and a few others she called up to testify to this truth) said that you can't reap what you haven't sown. If you spend your marital life doing your best to put your partner first, it all comes around, and you will enjoy the fruits of your own labor. I thought hard about that while she spoke and I could actually envsion that in my own life. My husband is quite a different person when I spend more time thinking about him instead of just me and the little girl. Although things around my house have been SO SO SO SO much better, we will sink into complacency though and this may be the best way to get things back on track each and every time.

I got home from church and my husband had sunk into his little hidey hole. That means he has retreated into his mind and is a little sullen. I don't know what prompts these little sulky bursts, and I wish I did. After 12 years, you'd think I could figure them out. If I had to guess, I'd say it's related to church although he's done this for a long time so I don't think it solely related to church. He was completely fine yesterday. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very gracious. I asked him if he was hungry to which he said no. 10 minutes later, he was in the house making himself a sandwich. Go figure.

Lord, I'm doing my best with what I gave myself. Have patience with me.

Oh, the music thing, I almost forgot. During sacrament, the choir sang. I'm sort of starting to like our choir. Their choice of song today was really beautiful and I sat there welling up as I often do during a musical number. I had an inspiration right then. I feel the spirit most often when I fast, and when I hear music. I struggle so much to feel the spirit in my home during the week. The thought occurred to me that I should get better music and play it in my home. I know, I know! This is such a absurdly simple thought for other mormon mothers who have figured this out ages ago, but I'm a little slow in the uptake.

I think that between the music and the books, I might really have something! Pray for me please!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doing amazingly well! Speaking from basically the same experience your going thru, try not to feel like you deserve the situation your in. Be strong and only look forward now, not back. You've had a change of heart and the Lord doesn't believe in paybacks when it comes to repentance. Keep contention (especially about the church) out of your marriage. Always take a moment (and a quick prayer) before you say anything concerning religion. That's when the HG will help you! It was a long frustrating road for me, but my husband is now baptized and a fully active member. Read 1 Corinthians 7:13-17....this is your walk, be at peace with it.
Your Friend.

Amy said...

I can't thank you personally so I hope you see this. Thank you so much for your encourating comment. It's nice to know I'm not alone out in the world and that I'm not paving a brand new road. I'm so happy it worked out well for you. I can only dream of what that would be like.