Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Testimony About Fasting

Fasting, for many people, is a difficult and arduous thing. Fast Sunday...a day to "get through".

I beg to differ however and this is why...

After I went through the temple, and Todd was having such a hard time with my decision, I decided I would fast every single Sunday until things changed. And I did. I fasted every Sunday for about 7 months. At first it was difficult. I would dread them and barely get through. But as time went on, I learned much about my own spirituality, my tolerance and the power of fasting.

Each time I would fast, I swear something monumental would happen. Something that could not be explained just by coincidence or by the passage of time. Todd and I would have an enlightening conversation...he would confess he believed...he forgave me...our fights became discussions...love returned more quickly than anticipated... and all of these things may sound trite and inconsequential but they're not. If you were living my life, you'd understand that each and every occurrence was a miracle for me. And my testimony and spirituality grew leaps and bounds in those months. I felt so close to the Lord and his Will. It's as if it flowed through me and I walked on air.

About a year later, I happened to stop by a girlfriend's house who evidently was having a bad day. She was very frustrated about her child and his behaviors and didn't know what to do. I recommended that she spend a day and fast about the resolution. I told her how I felt about fasting and she said it was really hard for her but she might do it anyway. And she did. Later, she told me that she received an answer to her prayers from the fast and she was going to visit her pediatrician, which she did. Her pediatrician told her that she needed to be referred to an occupational therapist. And so she called me...because that's what I am! I saw her son, developed a treatment plan for him which she complied with very carefully and she reported back a few months later that he was doing great. This was the answer to her fast. I felt very humbled because not only did I counsel her to fast, I was able to help her in another way too.

I believe fasting can bring about miracles. I believe it can expedite the answers you need from your prayers. I believe that fasting can help you become closer to the Lord than you ever hoped to be. I believe it is one of the most wonderful tools that He has given to us.

I wrote this tonight because I had forgotten how much I loved it and I haven't been able to fast since I was pregnant and then nursing. But I'm finished nursing now and now can fast again. I am very excited because I have much to fast for.

If you are needing answers in a big way and feel that some extra effort is needed on your part, fast. Fast with your soul. Fast for 24 hours. Start and end with a prayer. Have a purpose to your fast and state it to the Lord. Pray often during your fast especially when you can't stop thinking about food. Read your scriptures and church magazines. These are the guidelines for fasting. He will respond...he covenanted with us that he would.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I really agree with you on the importance of fasting. I've personally never been hugely impacted by 24 hour fasts, but I'm sure they can be just as beneficial as longer ones. There was a popular trend among evangelical Christian churches a number of years ago to fast and pray for 40 days for revival. I was in college during this time and never ended up doing the full 40 days, but I knew a number of people who did and saw HUGE answers to prayer and spiritual breakthroughs as a result of these fasts. I did some fasts that were pretty long and they were extremely significant in terms of spiritual growth and spiritual battles I was fighting. I have also found that often the benefits of the fast are not clear until the fast is over. It can be tough-going during the fast, but then the answers to prayer or spiritual breakthroughs far outweigh the minor sacrifices I made during the fast. God always pours out His grace beyond measure and His blessings far exceed whatever piddly sacrifice I think I have offered. :)

Jessica said...

I should revise my comment above. I'm not sure how "popular" the 40-day fasts were. :) I knew a number of people who participated, but I don't know how many did nation-wide. An evangelical leader wrote a book encouraging people to participate, but I'm not sure of the total number of people who did.

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting this! I'm having similar challenges regarding spirituality in the home and didn't think of fasting. Your testimony has motivated and strengthened my desire to seek the Lord for help and answers. A question to you, though: is it important the length of time to fast? You mention 24 hours and my husband and I have "discussed" this topic that no one (general authority) has mentioned 24 hours being necessary. What are your thoughts on that and how can I motivate my husband to want to fast longer?

Amy said...

Jessica, thank you for your powerful comments. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond! But I'm glad now to go back and read your words. I can only imagine the wonderful spiritual benefits of fasting for such a length of time. Wow! If only I had the will to do it. I suppose you can take water????

Dear Sarah: I wish there were a way I could contact you and I checked out your profile and you're one of my followers so hopefully you receive this comment back to you! Thank you for your comment to me. I hope you've had good success with fasting since you posted this comment last August. I was going through some weird stuff last fall and my mind was obviously elsewhere. I wondered myself about the 24 hour fast and I think I finally found it in that little booklet that the Bishop gives out to new members that outlines the church's stance on most every topic. I can't remember what it's called but it's a small one and it's listed by topic. In there it says the fast is 24 hours but that's the only place I know that actually delineates it that way. Personally, my 6 months of fasting each Sunday were only from sun-up until dinnertime and like I said before, my blessings were without number. I wouldn't try to motivate your husband to fast longer. The Lord knows what he's capable of and if it is sacrifice enough for him to fast for 10 hours then I'm sure the Lord is loving him for that. :)